Teen Takeover

Image result for teen consumerism
Recently in class, I started watching the movie Frontline, Making Cents out of Teens: The Merchants of cool. Subconsciously, I think I was always aware that teens are the major consumers of America. Clothing trends, music trends, linguistic trends - are all driven by teenagers. Never before watching this movie, however, did I contemplate the absurdity of it all. While it is arguable, I feel like most thing in the media are catered towards teens and young adults. This may be because I am a teen, and am most often on sites that are for teens, but the idea is not to be disregarded. For example, the "Top 40," songs that are most often on the radio are definitely not music my mom is listening to. The list is dictated by teens, and what they're listening to.
I think it's very interesting how marketers go "Cool Hunting." I can't help but wonder if these adults are successful at finding the coolest, most innovative trends, or if the coolest and most innovative trends are a result of their advertising. Like any trend, it doesn't last particularly long, but they do need platform in order to get big. This movie has also made me look around my own social circles to see which people are 'leaders,' in developing trends. I have always known teens are very influenced by their peers, but never truly contemplated the extent. I think my peers are definitely the most influential force in my life, whether it's positive or negative. For example, I am influenced against buying something if people I dislike are wearing or using it. I am influenced to buy something if people I look up to own a product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't watch TV

Violence in the Media

Am I a midriff?